Step 3: Force download of GeoLite2 file (optional)
If you’ve been using a prior version of the software that was capable of downloading the GeoLite2 country datafile without a license key, the software will now be able to do that again using the license key you just entered.
By default, the software will check for new files during the maintenance process at midnight. If it notices that a newer file is available, it will download that and use it to replace the outdated file on your server.
If you created a fresh install of Revive Adserver v5.0.3, or if you updated from a version older than v5.0, and entered your license key, it will now be capable of downloading the GeoLite2 country datafile.
To force the system to do that right away, instead of having to wait until midnight, here’s how:
- Make sure you are still logged in as a System administrator, and that you are still Working as System Administrator.
- Go to the Plugins tab to open a list of the installed plugins.
- In the row for the MaxMind GeoIP2 Plugin you will see that the status column shows the plugin to be Enabled.
- Now click the Disable link at the right of the same row. The screen will refresh and the plugin’s status will have switched to Disabled.
- A new Enable link has come into view in same place. Click it to enable the plugin again. To avoid disrupting your ad serving, disable and enable within a few seconds.
- Once again the screen will refresh, but you may notice that it takes a few seconds. This is because at that very moment the plugin is proceeding to download the GeoLite2 country datafile from MaxMind’s servers. The time it takes to download it depends on the speed of your server’s connection to the internet.
That’s all, your geotargeting plugin is now up to date. It will automatically keep an eye on any new versions of the GeoLite2 country file and download it once available. This will happen at most once every 24 hours, at midnight.