Technical requirements for Revive Adserver
Revive Adserver is a web application written in the PHP programming language. It supports both the MySQL and PostgreSQL database systems.
Web server requirements:
- Apache with mod_php or any webserver using FastCGI (nginx, IIS 7+, lighttpd, etc.)
- For Revive Adserver v4.1: PHP 5.6.x, 7.0+
For Revive Adserver v4.2 and above: PHP 7.0.8 or higher
- Required PHP extensions: mbstring, mysqli/mysql and/or pgsql, pcre, xml, zip, zlib
- Suggested PHP extensions: curl and/or openssl, gd, any opcode cache extension (opcache, apc, eaccelerator, xcache)
Apache .htaccess files are used to deny access to library and configuration folders by default. If another web server is being used (or .htaccess file support is disabled) additional configuration might be necessary to secure the installation. Please consult your webmaster or hosting company support department.
Database server requirements:
- MySQL 4.1+, or
- PostgreSQL 8.1+
Please review the important notes below about support for some specific version of MySQL.
Important notes about MySQL versions
- At the time of this page being updated, MySQL 8.x is NOT supported for use with any version of Revive Adserver, including the upcoming v5.0.0 (scheduled for September 2019).
- When using the ‘utf8mb4’ character set, MySLQ 5.x is not supported either
Important note about PHP and MySQL/PostgreSQL versions
Although ancient versions of PHP, MySQL and PostgreSQL might be supported, we strongly recommend using the most recent versions, if possible. However, do take note of the specific issues with some versions of MySQL.
With Revive Adserver v4.0, we added support for the PHP mysqli extension, finally allowing Revive Adserver to work on PHP7+ without having to manually compile the legacy mysql extension, which was a requirement for the earlier 3.2 versions and indeed a cumbersome task for many people.
The Revive Adserver developers run a continuous integration process involving on-commit and nightly builds with complete unit and integration testing.
Our continuous integration tool is running the unit / integration test suite of Revive Adserver with any combination of PHP 5.6, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2 (master) + MySQL 5.5 or Postgres 9.5. The latest development versions of PHP are tested as well, to ensure forward compatibility and in order to prevent new regressions from being accidentally introduced.