MaxMind’s new license key for downloading GeoLite2 files
Downloading and updating GeoLite2 files
Revive Adserver version 5.0 comes with a new, completely rebuilt geotargeting plugin, capable of using the new GeoIP2 datafiles produced by MaxMind.
Our software was developed to be capable of downloading the required GeoLite2 country datafile from MaxMind’s servers upon initial installation, or while upgrading from a version older than v5. It is also capable of keeping that datafile updated by downloading any newer files that MaxMind publish (usually on a weekly basis).
We released Revive Adserver v5.0 on September 30, 2019. On December 18, 2019, MaxMind suddenly announced that they were going to implement a mandatory license model for file downloads and updates of GeoLite2 files. License keys for GeoLite2 are free of charge.
Following MaxMind’s announcement, a new version 5.0.3 of the Revive Adserver software was released on January 14, 2020, which is capable of using your MaxMind GeoLite2 license key to download GeoLite2 datafiles.
In this blog post, we explain how to obtain a free license key from MaxMind’s website, and how to use it in your installation of Revive Adserver v5.0.3 or higher.
Step 2: Enter license key in geotargeting plugin settings
Here is what you need to do to enter the license key you just obtained in the plugin’s settings:
- Go to your installed Revive Adserver v5.0.3 (or higher), and log in as a system administrator.
- If necessary, switch to Working as System Administrator in the top right hand corner of the screen.
- Now click the Plugins tab.
- Most likely the new MaxMind GeoIP2 Plugin is listed at the top of the list of available plugins.
- For this plugin, click the Details link in the same row.
- On the details screen, you’ll see two components. Click the Settings link in the first row.
- In this settings screen, you will notice a new settings field for the License Key.
- Paste the license key you obtained from MaxMind in step 1.
- Now click the Save Changes button.
Step 3: Force download of GeoLite2 file (optional)
If you’ve been using a prior version of the software that was capable of downloading the GeoLite2 country datafile without a license key, the software will now be able to do that again using the license key you just entered.
By default, the software will check for new files during the maintenance process at midnight. If it notices that a newer file is available, it will download that and use it to replace the outdated file on your server.
If you created a fresh install of Revive Adserver v5.0.3, or if you updated from a version older than v5.0, and entered your license key, it will now be capable of downloading the GeoLite2 country datafile.
To force the system to do that right away, instead of having to wait until midnight, here’s how:
- Make sure you are still logged in as a System administrator, and that you are still Working as System Administrator.
- Go to the Plugins tab to open a list of the installed plugins.
- In the row for the MaxMind GeoIP2 Plugin you will see that the status column shows the plugin to be Enabled.
- Now click the Disable link at the right of the same row. The screen will refresh and the plugin’s status will have switched to Disabled.
- A new Enable link has come into view in same place. Click it to enable the plugin again. To avoid disrupting your ad serving, disable and enable within a few seconds.
- Once again the screen will refresh, but you may notice that it takes a few seconds. This is because at that very moment the plugin is proceeding to download the GeoLite2 country datafile from MaxMind’s servers. The time it takes to download it depends on the speed of your server’s connection to the internet.
That’s all, your geotargeting plugin is now up to date. It will automatically keep an eye on any new versions of the GeoLite2 country file and download it once available. This will happen at most once every 24 hours, at midnight.
Don’t want to get your own license key?
Alternatively, if you don’t want to spend any time on configuring a server and installing the software, obtaining a MaxMind license key and setting that in the software, we also have a Hosted edition that you can subscribe to. This is a Software-as-a-Service offering that uses the exact same software, and that will always be kept up to date with the most recent version. All you have to do is sign up, log in and use it. We’ve already taken care of regular updates of the GeoIP data files for you!