The Revive Adserver project team is proud to announce the availability of a Beta release of the Revive Adserver software.
April 10, 2015 – 10.00 UTC: important note about repackaging of the beta release at the end of this blog post.
We’re asking members of the community to help us test this beta release of version 3.2.0, with focus on the following topics:
The new Asynchronous tags can be generated just as easily as before, by going to the Invocation Code tab of any zone. A new type of code will be presented when running the v3.2.0 beta:
We’ve tested the asynchronous tags in a variety of scenarios, but we might have missed a few. We’d like to ask the menbers ofÂ the communityÂ to test their banners with existing third party ad tags in combination with the new async tags. Do the third party ads work correctly when served via Revive Adserver onto a webpage? Likewise, we’d like to ask you to verify if the asynchronous tags, when trafficked into a third party ad server down the line, work correctly.
- Language and translations
A lot of work went into a clean-up of the English language files of the product. At the same time, we’ve started a large scale translation project (see the recent blog post Translations for Revive Adserver). It is not unlikely that one or more or the English text lines have unknowingly been removed, but are still ‘in use’.
You would recognize this from a strange looking ‘placeholder’ text instead of the actual text you used to see in a screen, a field label, an explanation, a mouse-over, or anywhere else in the user interface.At the same time, a translator may have accidentally introduced something in a translation that breaks the user interface (for example, a line break was introduced or a special character that is not properly displayed).
- Delivery of contract campaigns
Version 3.1 (released in December 2014) introduced a set of fixes related to the correct and full delivery of contract campaigns. In this version 3.2.0-beta, we’ve fine-tuned this code even more to take better care of situations where the ad server is running in time zones with a positive offset from UTC. We thank community member Victor (Rhapsodyv)Â for this contribution to the project. We would like to ask members of the community to test delivery of contract campaigns.
Of course, we would welcome any feedback on any of the other changes, improvements and fixes as detailed in the release notes below.
How to test this beta release?
Version 3.2.0-beta can now be downloaded and tested by the community.
The purpose of the beta testing phase is to allow users and developers to thoroughly test the new version before it will be released as a stable version. If the beta testing phase proceeds according to plan, we intend to publish the official version 3.2.0 two weeksÂ after the beta release.
We recommend that users do not upgrade their existing ad server installations if it is mission critical, or if they are uncertain about their abilities to deal with bugs, upgrade issues, or other unexpected problems.
Please make sure to study the release notes below, including the notes on non-backwards compatible changes.
What’s New in Revive Adserver version 3.2.0-beta?
Version 3.2.0-beta of Revive Adserver does not include any security updates.
We have included the following new features and improvements:
- Added new help dialogue for companion positioning option.
- Integrated (most) translations with Crowdin.
- Added plugin hooks to the VAST events in the VideoAds plugin.
- Added preliminary support for PHP7.
Version 3.2.0-beta introduces a number of bug fixes:
- Fixed issue with interstitial images (e.g. close.gif) always using http://Â even when the request came via https.
- Fixed issue with interstitial layers showing even when no matching bannerÂ was found, since the introduction of blank logging.
- Fixed issue that prevented the error message screen to be displayed whenÂ trying to install or run Revive Adserver with some required functionsÂ disabled via php.ini.
- Fixed issue causing campaign revenue to be improperly parsed when usingÂ a number format different than nnnn.nn.
- Fixed a problem with the destination URL not being available for new overlayÂ video ads, and potentially other HTML-based custom banner types.
- Fixed the size of the search popup window under Chrome.
- Fixed missing translation string from statistics screens for conversions.
- Fixed issue preventing contract campaigns to reach their daily target whenÂ TZ had a negative offset.
- Fixed a problem with “Export Statistics to Excel” not working on someÂ platforms.
Version 3.2.0-beta introduces oneÂ non-backwards compatible change:
- The signatures of bannerTypeHtml/Text’s preprocessForm() and processForm()Â methods has been updated to what was actually used when invoking them.Â Albeit unlikely, this might clash with the definition used in some customÂ plugins.
Download, install and upgrade
Once downloaded, please refer to the instructions for Installations of Revive Adserver or for Upgrading Revive Adserver. Make sure that the server(s) being used meet the minimum technical requirements.
April 10 2015 update
A bug was reported by community member Pedro-Miguel. Many thanks for the detailed report!
The bug reportÂ prompted us to re-package the downloadable files on Friday, April 10, around 10 AM UTC.Â This affects only those users who have upgraded from a previous version to v3.2.0-beta using the files downloaded prior to this fix.
If you’ve downloaded the beta release before that time, please see the Github issue and comments for instructions on how to fix the issue.