Revive Adserver Security Advisory REVIVE-SA-2023-001
- Advisory ID: REVIVE-SA-2023-001
- CVE-IDs: CVE-2023-38040
- Date: 2023-09-13
- Risk Level: Very low
- Applications affected: Revive Adserver
- Versions affected: <= 5.4.1
- Versions not affected: >= 5.5.0
- Website: https://www.revive-adserver.com/
Vulnerability: Reflected XSS
- Vulnerability type: Improper Neutralization of Input During Web Page Generation (‘Cross-site Scripting’) [CWE-79]
- CVE-ID: CVE-2023-38040
- CVSS Base Score: 0.0
- CVSSv3.1 Vector: AV:N/AC:H/PR:N/UI:R/S:U/C:N/I:N/A:N
- CVSS Impact Subscore: 0.0
- CVSS Exploitability Subscore: 1.6
Some GET parameters sent to the al.php delivery script were used in the output without proper sanitisation, allowing an attacker to craft specific URLs and have payloads output in the HTML, JS, and/or CSS context. Successful exploitation requires an attacker to plant on a third party website a <script> tag loading such URLs and have the payloads executed.
We strongly advise people to upgrade to the most recent 5.5.0 version of Revive Adserver, or whatever happens to be the current release at the time of reading this security advisory.
The security contact for Revive Adserver can be reached at: <security AT revive-adserver DOT com>
Please review https://www.revive-adserver.com/security/ before doing so.