Today marks the third anniversary of the unveiling of the Revive Adserver project, with the release of version 3.0. We feel that this is the perfect day to announce the next major release of the Revive Adserver software, which has been given version number v4.0. Since this new version includes a large number of changes and enhancements, including many breaking changes, we think it is appropriate to first make available a Release Candidate. This will enable users, administrators, plugin developers, hosting providers and consultants to put the new version to the test in all sorts of scenarios and environments. If everything goes according to plan, we expect to release the final v4.0 in 2 weeks from today.
Below is a list of enhancements and improvements included in this Release Candidate for Revive Adserver v4.0:
- We added support for the PHP mysqli extension, finally allowing Revive Adserver to work on PHP7+ without having to manually compile the legacy mysql extension, which was a cumbersome task for many people.
- Browser and Operating system targeting was greatly improved and modernized by replacing the old phpSniff library with a modern alternative (called Sinergi Browser detector), resulting in a significant speed improvement, while at the same time enabling users to target the latest browsers, operating systems, and recent versions of both.
- We added support for both Memcache and Memcached extensions in the oxMemcached plugin.
- We increased the HTML banner size hard limit from 64k to 16MB on MySQL, improving support for HTML5 banners.
- There have also been many other smaller enhancements and improvements, described in detail in the release notes.
- We have fixed numerous bugs, and there are also some non-backward compatible changes, so please make sure you carefully study the release notes.
Download, install and upgrade
Please keep in mind that this is a release candidate, and as such it can result in issues. If you don’t feel confident about testing beta-level software, we recommend that you wait until the final v4.0 is available. This will be announced here on the blog.
Once downloaded, please refer to the instructions for Installations of Revive Adserver or for Upgrading Revive Adserver. Make sure that the server(s) being used meet(s) the minimum technical requirements.
The Revive Adserver project team is deeply grateful to community member Stefan Greiner, who contributed no less than two of the enhancements in this release. He developed the support for the PHP mysqli extension and he added the support for both Memcache and Memcached extensions in the oxMemcached plugin. On behalf of the community, we send our warm regards and many thanks to Stefan for his contributions.