The Revive Adserver team is immensely proud to announce the availability of the first Release Candidate of Revive Adserver v5.0.
We are pleased to announce the next major release of the Revive Adserver software, which has been given version number v5.0. Since this new version includes a large number of changes and enhancements, including some potentially breaking changes, we think it is appropriate to first publish it as a Release Candidate. This will enable users, administrators, plugin developers, hosting providers and consultants to put the new version to the test in all sorts of scenarios and environments. If everything goes according to plan, we expect to release the final v5.0 in a little over 2 weeks from today, on Monday, September 30, 2019.
Here are the most important changes included in this Release Candidate for Revive Adserver v5.0:
New features and enhancements
- We replaced the legacy MaxMind GeoIP plugin with a new version which is compatible with the newer GeoIP2 database format, as legacy GeoIP is no longer supported by MaxMind
- We extended the screens for managing user access to accounts, to display the most recent login date and time of users
- We added a feature to duplicate websites and their zones. We want to thank long time community member Heiko Weber for contributing this new feature.
- Fixed compatibility with PHP 7.4 and improved compatibility with other PHP versions
- Fixed an issue with emails about campaigns about to expire due to end date not using the user’s preferred date format
Important: this release candidate and the actual v5.0 release later, has a number of Non-Backwards Compatible Changes:
- The date and time that new user accounts are created / email address is updated has changed to UTC format in the database with this release. As timezone information was not stored with the previous values, these cannot be safely converted to UTC format. As a result, all user account creation / email address update values stored before upgrading to this release may not be accurate – but only by up to +/- 13 hours.
- There are several changes between the legacy GeoIP and GeoIP2 databases and the upgrade process will try to migrate the rules in the best possible way:
– “Regions” have been split into two levels of subdivisions and the ISO-3166 database has been updated. Depending on the country, the old delivery rule will be transformed in the appropriate subdivision level and geopolitical changes applied to the best of our knowledge
– “Area code” is no longer returned. Any such delivery rule will be deleted.
– The way the Geotargeting plugins work has been revamped. As such, third party geotargeting plugins or plugins depending on geotargeting information might need to be updated accordingly.
Download, install and upgrade
Please keep in mind that this is a release candidate, and as such it can result in issues. If you don’t feel confident about testing release candidate software, we recommend that you wait until the final v5.0 is available. This will be announced here on the blog, on our Twitter account, and to the subscribers to our mailing list.
Once downloaded, please refer to the instructions for Installations of Revive Adserver or for Upgrading Revive Adserver. Make sure that the server(s) being used meet(s) the minimum technical requirements.
Several new developments in version 5.0 have been sponsored by community members, either financially or in the form of code contributions. We’re very grateful for the support we’ve received. If you would like to contribute to our project, please consider becoming a patron on Patreon.com.
Another way to contribute to our project, is by using the Revive Adserver Hosted edition. The Hosted edition will be upgraded to v5.0 shortly after the new version has been released officially.