A look back on 2013 for the Revive Adserver project

In the year 2013 that just ended, the Revive Adserver project was first revealed. While we are preparing for the new year, we thought it would be fun to wrap up the old year in this blog post.

September 2013: Project announcement, new name, and release of version 3.0.0

On Friday, September 13, 2013, our project and the new name for the ad server software were officially announced to the world: Revive Adserver. We take pride in being selected as the official successor of the world’s most popular free open source ad server software, OpenX Source.

Of course, our team had been preparing for this for some time. It gave us the opportunity to release a brand new version of the software on the same date, September 13. Version 3.0.0 focused on removing some deprecated features such as the OpenX Market integration. We also included a fix for a security issue that was discovered just a few days before the release.

November 2013: Upgrade notifications to existing OpenX Source installations

On November 18, 2013, we started sending out notifications about the Revive Adserver v3.0.0 release to all existing OpenX Source installations. This resulted in an immediate upswing in the number of live instances of the Revive Adserver software (see below for some insights).

December 2013: Community Forums and 2 releases

On December 11, 2013, we officially opened the new Revive Adserver Community Forums, to enable all members of the community to communicate with each other, to post questions and answers, and to share ideas. The forums are a clear success, in just 7 weeks we’ve seen 77 members signing up, 302 messages were posted and more than a 1,000 people visited the forums a total of almost 1,900 times. This resulted in over 13,000 page views, and an average time on site of more than 7 minutes.

Two days later, on December 13, 2013, Revive Adserver version 3.0.1 was released. We resolved a large number of bugs and issues, and we added support for Flash banners created with Flash version 11 and above.

Just one week later, on December 20, 2013, we released Revive Adserver version 3.0.2. This was an urgent security release fixing a single vulnerability that was discovered and reported to us by community member Florian Sander. We also posted a detailed Security Advisory and notified the most important news sources.

Wide spread acceptance of Revive Adserver

We are delighted to see that the new Revive Adserver software has been accepted and installed by hundreds of users. We would like to share a few numbers with the community:

  • On October 1, which was 2 weeks after we first released Revive Adserver 3.0.0, there were 15 live instances around the globe.
  • On November 1, we saw 35 live instances, so more than double from a month before.
  • After the new version notification was sent out on November 18, many people started upgrading or creating new installations, and on December 1, we reported 327 live instances, an increase of 930% in just 30 days.
  • The December 13 release of version 3.0.1 and the subsequent December 20 release of security fix version 3.0.2 appears to have convinced even more people that Revive Adserver is here to stay, and on New Year’s eve, we measured 825 live instances of the application. This was an increase of more than 250% in the month of December.
  • We hope and expect that the number of live instances will continue to grow in the coming months, as more and more people have time and opportunity to perform an upgrade, or perhaps even to start using Revive Adserver for the first time.

An exciting year ahead

We look forward to the new year 2014, and to working with the community of existing and new users. The Revive Adserver project has had a flying start, and we intend to maintain the momentum. Please continue using the forums to communicate with us and other community members. We are planning new releases in the coming year, and we welcome your thoughts, ideas and suggestions for them.

A very happy new year 2014 to all of you, and best wishes from the Revive Adserver Project Team,

Andrew, Matteo, and Erik

Written by

Revive Adserver is an open source project, dedicated to building and supporting the open source ad server software and the community of users around the world.

2 thoughts on “A look back on 2013 for the Revive Adserver project

  1. Thank you for the PHP 5.4 support. OpenX was very slow and caused a lot of trouble when we upgraded to PHP 5.4. But with the new Revive Adserver, the server is just like feather.

    Thanks!

  2. Pingback: Revive Adserver community continues to grow | Revive Adserver

Comments are closed.